← Go to News Feed




Storm Update From Kent County Emergency Management

September 12th, 2019 10:38 am

Kent County Emergency Management Update September 12, 2019 11:00 a.m.

Consumers Energy and its partners are making good progress on power restoration efforts. Residents should be aware however, that power restoration estimates may fluctuate today as crews transition from emergency response to investigating and addressing power outages as they are reported and/or discovered.

The National Weather Service and Kent County Emergency Management will be continuing their assessments today and will continue until complete.

To get connected with recovery resources or to report storm damage, residents are encouraged to call United Way 2-1-1. If you have an emergency, call 9-1-1. To report a down power line call 1-800-477-5050 and 9-1-1 We encourage you to still report notable storm damage to 211 even if you don’t need resource assistance, Those reports assist Emergency Management with understanding where the mostly heavily impacted areas are, which helps us to allocate the appropriate resources where they are needed the most.

We are asking motorists to avoid the following roads while crews clear debris:

  • Pettis Ave NE/SE
  • Honey Creek Ave NE/SE
  • Conservation Ave NE
  • Dogwood Ave NE
  • Michigan St NE from Crahen Ave to Grand River Ave
  • Grand River Ave from Knapp St to Michigan St

Here are a few reminders from Kent County Emergency Management and the National Weather Service that can be useful in the days following a severe weather event:

  • Before checking a downed tree, look for powerlines that may have come down with it before you approach it.
  • Do not touch downed power lines or objects in contact with downed lines. Report electrical hazards to the police (9-1-1) and the utility company (1-800-477-5050).
  • Be aware of hazards from exposed nails and broken glass.
  • If it is dark when you are inspecting your home, use a flashlight rather than a candle or torch to avoid the risk of fire or explosion in a damaged home.
  • If you see frayed wiring or sparks, or if there is an odor of something burning, you should immediately shut off the electrical system at the main circuit breaker to your house if you have not done so already.
  • If you smell gas or suspect a leak, turn off the main gas valve, open all windows, and leave the house immediately. Notify the gas company, the police or fire departments, or State Fire Marshal's office, and do not turn on the lights, light matches, smoke, or do anything that could cause a spark. Do not return to your house until you are told it is safe to do so.

*The above photo was taken from the Honey Creek/Conservation Ave area.